Charter for the Safety of People within the Churches of the Anglican Communion
In October 2012, the Anglican Consultative Council meeting in Auckland passed a resolution calling on their Churches to adopt and implement a 'Charter for the Safety of People within the Churches of the Anglican Communion' developed by the Anglican Communion Safe Church Consultation. The Charter is intended as a framework for promoting the physical, emotional and spiritual welfare and safety of all people, especially children, young people and vulnerable adults within the churches of the Anglican Communion.
- Charter for the Safety of People within the Churches of the Anglican Communion. English Francais
Safer Recruitment of Clergy and Church Workers
- In April 2016 the Anglican Consultative Council passed resolution ACC-16.27 welcoming the ‘Protocol for the disclosure of ministry suitability information’ prepared by the Anglican Communion Safe Church Network and requested Anglican Provinces to implement the Protocol and report to ACC-17. The protocol is available in English and French.
- Safeguarding Guidelines relating to Safer Recruitment: For all who work on behalf of the Church of England
The Church of England has issued this guidance to all roles in the church which involve working with children or adults who are vulnerable. It has been issued on an interim basis to reflect the present UK government's review of the Independent Safeguarding Authority and Vetting and Barring system.
- Model System for Selection and Accreditation of Church Workers in Parishes, 2006
This Anglican Church of Australia resource for clergy and parishes when selecting and accrediting parish church workers, including volunteers, gives steps to follow before and after appointing a church worker. It has been designed for use in parishes but can be used by other church bodies.
Safeguarding Adults and Children
- Safeguarding Resources from the Diocese of Down and Connor, Church of Ireland. http://www.downandconnor.org/safeguarding/
- Model Policies: In 2004 the Church Pension Group of the Episcopal Church, in collaboration with the Nathan Network, produced Model Policies for the Protection of Children and Youth. In 2008 they produced adult materials in Model Policies for Preventing Sexual Exploitation and Model Policies for Preventing Sexual Harassment. These materials are available in PDF and Word format here www.cpg.org/administrators/insurance/preventing-sexual-misconduct/model-policies-resolutions
- The Path to Safer Ministry - A 'Roadmap' of National Professional Standards Resources: This roadmap produced for the Anglican Church of Australia is a guide to the use of the various resources to assist safe ministry promulgated by the Professional Standards Commission over a number of years. These resources are organised into two groups, one for prevention of lapses in safe ministry and the other for responses to lapses should they occur. The roadmap was approved by the Anglican Church of Australia's General Synod Standing Committee in 2011.
- Promoting a Safe Church: Policy for safeguarding adults in the Church of England, 2006
- A Safe Church: Policies, Procedures and Guidelines for safeguarding children, adults who may be vulnerable, and responding to domestic abuse. A manual for parishes in the Diocese of Southwark, Church of England, revised June 2010.
- Children and Young People: A code of good practice for use by parishes in the Church in Wales, revised 2007
- Church in Wales: Ministry with Vulnerable Adults - Recommended policy and good practice guidelines, 2010
- Anglican Church of Australia Child Protection Study 2009
This research commissioned by the Standing Committee of the Anglican Church of Australia's General Synod investigated the efficacy of the Church's child protection protocols. Its findings led to recommendations for change to specific child protection protocols and practical adjustments to processes.
Standards of Behaviour
Caring for those who have been abused
Responding to persons of concern
Faithfulness in Service: A video resource from the Anglican Church of Australia with Indigenous people discussing some basic safeguarding concepts, February 2016.
Partnering for Prevention: A Conference on Abuse in our Communion and our Communities June 2011